Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mediterranean Panini

This afternoon I was feeling a surge of culinary creativity. While I'm still starting with cooking, I decided to try making up a recipe for a simple panini with the ingredients I had in the house. I served it with the leftover carrot chips from my stir fry, which added a nice cold crisp to the plate. The results were outstanding! Even my anti-vegetarian minded sister loved this lunch!



Paninis:
3 ciabatta breads
1 jar pesto (I used Classico brand)
3 small tomatoes
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used Kraft that had cream cheese in it for added creamy texture)

Preheat broiler on high. Cut bread in half and place on pan with the inside facing up. Spread pesto on both sides of the bread. Sprinkle on most of the cheese leaving a small amount. Slice tomatoes and place the slices on one side of the bread. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the tomatoes. Put the pan in the oven. Leave in the oven until the cheese starts to bubble and brown slightly (should just be a few minutes so watch carefully through the window). Remove, flip bread to make sandwiches and serve warm. Makes 3 sandwiches.




If you have leftover pesto, you can throw it into some penne pasta and have that as a side dish or for dinner! Add some pine nuts and fresh diced tomato for an added yum factor!

No comments:

Post a Comment