Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First attempt at frittata.

So last night I got a huge surge of energy. Seeing as this is a rare occasion these days, I decided to take advantage of it and cook. I had been eyeing a frittata recipe in a vegetarian cookbook. The cooking of it was surprisingly easy and would have been super fast if I had more experience with basic cooking (cracking eggs, beating them, measuring). The frittatas were made in a muffin pan, which made them a nice size. Overall, the cooking was perfect but I didn't like flavor. Cumin is a spice I wasn't familiar with, but I was willing to try it in the name of experimentation. Turns out, cumin isn't my thing. Next time I make the frittatas, I'm going to experiment with the veggies, maybe adding bell peppers or tomato. I'd try out some other spices, add more cheese, and leave the cumin out.

Miniature Mexican Frittatas
1 10-ounce package thawed chopped spinach, drained
1 cup cottage cheese, drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Optional: sour cream, salsa

In a medium bowl combine the spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, cumin, and pepper. Combine the two mixtures and stir together. Add the parsley.

Spoon mixture into 12 lightly greased 2 1/2 inch muffin cups. Bake, uncovered, in a 375* oven for 20-25 minutes or til the eggs set. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove from cups (I found using a fork gently worked for this). Serve with salsa and sour cream. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment